CNBLUE not a real band? -- Boices beg to disagree!


Still can't get over the fact that someone is saying that CN Blue is not a real band over at seoulbeats.  People have different tastes its fine that you are not fond of CN Blue but to say that they are not a real band is too much.  As I wait for my download to finish, I browse seoulbeats hoping that that person retracted his (I think its a guy) previous comment.  I refused to comment to defend CN Blue as it might flood  seoulbeats and I refrain from commenting when I feel anger because I cannot take back my words.  Although I already made a rant here at my blog, well at least its my blog.  But I was surprise that Boices posted comments defending CN Blue which I failed to do.  Maybe I chickened out last night and posted my rant here at my blog.  Thought that nobody else thinks that CN Blue is real band with pretty faces (all 4 of them) and talents.  They may not really be Boice, the fan club of CN Blue but I rather call any CN Blue fan a Boice.  Below are the comments:


Otreh_niwa_ribbon says " i agree with  rxp_622628, cnblue is a "real band", Why? because they produce their own song and play live for their performancee...and for music is about "taste", you can't judge something bad for musician,and i think it's good right, handsome face and good talent :) if you want to know them just try to watch their concert "great", they perform just like the other bands, and they are better live!!!and yes i admit cnblue isn't pure rock band because they have various color in their musiclike for this single "where you are", feeling composed by Yonghwa isn't rock song butfresh song with good melody, but if you listen get away composed by Jonghyun is rocksong. i think band is a band ,, music is about your ear and your heart :), so it's not good to bashsomeone who working hard for their music."


-----------------------------------


rxp_622628 says  "CNBLUE debuted in Japan 2009 as an indie band - they played in live houses & completed more than 100 lives before they even debuted in Korea. Now after their 2010 Korean debut & Japan major label debut this past fall 2011, they obviously are not an indie band but you should realize they WERE an indie band. Is it so bad that they are not an indie band anymore? No - I think it's impressive that in almost 3 years they have progressed & shared their music with so many fans. CNBLUE in all their albums released have had a hand in the production process of their songs. Just skim through their discography and see for yourself j*mp/AE8ZMY how many times Jung Yonghwa, Lee Jonghyun & even drummer Kang Min Hyuk have contributed to the lyrics & composition for CNBLUE songs. If you are judging CNBLUE based on just their lead tracks alone I think you are missing out on some beautiful songs such as "Lie", "Y, Why",  "Just Please", "Love Light", "Don't Say Goodbye" - just to name a few (& yes you'll see the name of Jung Yonghwa or Lee Jonghyun listed in the credits for these songs)


"CNBLUE isn't even considered a 'real' band" 
- how do you define what a 'real' band is? i believe a band is comprised of musicians who come together to create & perform music. it's a simple definition but i think it's fitting for something that can have so many variations. With this definition, CNBLUE is considered a 'real' band - they create their songs, they perform their songs live as often as they can. It still bugs me how Korean music shows only allow them to hand-sync their performances - but that is another barrier for them to overcome.


"they're pretty idol rockers that cater to a pop market" 
- comments like this are why bands like CNBLUE work hard to showcase their music & try to break out from this stereotype. Yes, they're pretty to look at & often they are claimed as 'idols' by the media & public - however, I don't think it's something they should be chastised for because they are actively attempting to break that description with each live performance they do - at various rock festivals, live house tours, their BLUESTORM Asia Concert Tour, opening for famous rock bands like Linkin Park, etc.


tl;dr - CNBLUE is a band, so no offense, but I take them seriously."


-----------------------------------


Guest says "an indie band is something like a bunch of friends from high school who jam in their basements and play at 2am in a local club. they distribute their music through small labels and even if they sign with a major label, they retain a level of autonomy over their creative process and content. there's no corporation that puts them together for a music market. by it's defintition, indie music is counter-culture. 



there's nothing counter-culture about cn blue. they were clearly created by fnc to appeal to a specific demographic. if one member leaves tomorrow, fnc, and not cn blue, will decide if that member is to be replaced and who that replacement will be. they played in clubs in japan because that's what their company wanted them to do. they debuted in korea because one of their members became popular via a drama. and your long list of live perfs can be used for other idol groups. gd&top have performed at rock festivals, in clubs, on tour and they always sing live. they also write and produce their own music. are they therefore an indie hip-hop duo?does cn blue write their music? yes. do they play the instruments? yes. are they a band? yes. are they an indie band? no. are they a pop-rock idol band created for profit by fnc music? yes. that doesn't mean you can't take them or their music seriously but others are not obligated to and they're about as indie as gd&top."

-----------------------------------

Checkinout says "I used to think the same way you do - you're not legit unless you were formed in a garage/basement, starved.... basically whatever you had in your first paragraph.


Perhaps I've gotten older and things are no longer as black and white as they used to be, but I've found myself rooting for CNBLUE because in a sense, one might say they are counter culture to the "manufactured idol" stereotype going by the definition that counter culture means going against mainstream or the norm.  While they were formed by a music agency, they have had significant control on their music in Japan where they started off performing on streets and live clubs and were under an independent label.  


This is a band that is very passionate about music.  I did some math the other day and realized that since their Korean debut in 2010, CNBLUE has released 27 new songs out of which the members have been involved in writing lyrics/composing music or both for 23 songs.  That is 85% of their songs, and I'm not even counting Yong Hwa's digital solo/Heartstrings OST or their pre-debut releases.  And they did all this on top of all their other 'idol' activities like variety show appearances, MC stints, dramas etc.


Yong Hwa loves experimenting with different genres (and experiment away when you're young, I say) and Jong Hyun has developed a pretty distinct sound that is his own.  And it was their self-compositions like Just Please, Y,Why and Tattoo that resonated with me in the first place (Clearly, I like their music, because let's face it, I wouldn't have dug deeper if I did not).  Perhaps I'm even more appalled by the general lack of appreciation for musical creativity and originality these days, so seeing a band that could have easily coasted on their good looks and instrument playing skills be so serious about creating their own brand of music warms my heart.  They might have had a 'manufactured' start, but everything else about their musical progression is all heart.


Sadly, they have a very different image in Korea as their Korean title tracks were not self-composed.  Perhaps there is too much emphasis on following the "trend" in the Korean music scene, but many of CNBLUE's supporters have been concerned that the boys will continue to have their musical creativity curtailed in Korea in favor of the tried and tested hit-making composers.  If we want to see a more vibrant music scene that celebrates originality and musical creativity, groups like CNBLUE need more support."


-----------------------------------


another Guest says "I like your comment, to be honest i don't really care if some people judge cnblue as musician wannabe ,indie band wannabe, pretty band or whatever. To me a band is a band,music is music and a song is a song, just listen to it, enjoy it and appreciate it.music wasn't like math's or physics's formula which can makes me happy when i understand it but it will makes me dizzy when i couldn't solve it.



the reason why i like cnblue is their music was my type and i like their songs,is it so simple right? when i was teenager (end 1990's-early 2000's) i often listened to the calling,vertical horizon,lifehouse,nickelback etc and my country has very strong band culture and fortunately i can hear those kind of sound in cnblue's songs esp in their japan album (there's so many alternative rock song in their japan album) and i became more appreciate them when i found the fact that the members can produce their own songs.once again,i don't care about their status as a musician or just an idol as long as they feed me with good songs, awesome perfomances and i enjoy it i will always support and appreciate them.i'm so sorry for my bad english,hope everybody will understands what i mean."


-----------------------------------


and coby (this is me) says "I thought there are no Boices here at seoulbeats.  I watched Bluestorm in HK to really see how CN Blue perform live.  For me its a make or break scenario.  Its either I'll forget about them because their live performance sucks or root for them more because they are awesome. And its the later, now I want more of CN Blue and wish I am in Japan right now."

No comments:

Post a Comment