Stale Victory – Pacquiao-Bradley bout

[caption id="attachment_1989" align="alignleft" width="298"] image from sportsillustrated.cnn.com[/caption]

As a Filipino, I take pride in any Pinoy that triumphs. One of them is Manny Pacquiao which is by the way a congressman in their Sarangani province, south of Philippines.  I don’t know but that’s how politics is in our country. I first witnessed how he fights on one of those local boxing matches being shown late at night.  Me and my brother don’t have anything else to watch at that time and we tuned in.  We were so glad with the fight because he knocked down his opponent with just a few punches!


On June 10 (Manila), millions of Filipinos watched our Pambansang Kamao fight with Timothy Bradley.  It is not an exaggeration when you will hear in the news that crime rate literally drops when there’s a Manny Pacquiao bout.  In some places large screens were being setup for everyone to see the fight. Sadly he lost.  I did not get to see the fight as I have work.  Here in Dubai, a lot of Pinoys will call in sick or take a half day off.  As for me I just opened twitter and just get the updates there.


Now one thing that you will hear when Pinoys lost in fights or a tournament and even TV ratings is “dinaya kasi” (because there’s cheating).  Whether its basketball game in the smallest barangay, or on a larger scale – national election, the loser will cry foul.


As I said I did not see the fight live or even check it over at youtube.  As expected, Pinoys cried foul.  Whether or not the claim was true or not, just now I read, that WBO says that Pacquiao won over Bradley.  It may appear like a total redemption of the cheating/conspiracy/game fixing claims, but for me it felt like a total CRAP!  Its like they made a big joke on us Pinoys, the feeling of a loser is never good especially a Manny-Pacquiao-boxing.


The report says that it will not overturn the result, but it can constitute an approval of a rematch, even a force rematch between Bradley and Pacquiao.  The rematch is set on November 10.


 I love to watch sports and boxing is one of them as I grew up with my dad and uncles watching it feverishly, however with this one, I don’t care anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment