My Dubai Stint - An Answered Prayer!

 It is of the LORD'S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness. Lam 3:22-23 (KJV)


It is my fourth year in UAE! I was scheduled for 2, well that's what I said to myself.  Enough to let me fund my sister's tuition.  I remember jogging around Zabeel Park and thinking of when will I come home.  My initial reason for coming to the desert land is just to earn more money. The fact that our church has a mission work here, is an icing to the cake.  Never did I imagine that  God will let use of me.


Nerie has been bugging me to come to Dubai since 2003 or 2004.  I remember sending my CV to one of the boss here at our company.  I never got a reply and it seems to be that it was not read.  I was not really keen of coming to a foreign land to work for the reasons of a) I'm afraid of the language.  The thought of speaking English every now and then would probably end up into a nose bleed. b) A nationalistic pride.  I want my skills to be used in my country.  c) I don't have money to spend.  The horror stories of most OFWs about selling everything that they have, getting loans (our family was once asked to loan our relatives for placement fees) and being conned to name a few are enough reasons for me to be afraid.  I don't have savings for my money all goes to my family and my almost every weekend out of town with my teammates during summer or simply, I don't manage my money well.


Late 2007 when Nerie offered us (me and Tin) to go to Dubai.  That year I thought I'm gonna get a promotion since I am being backed up by my supervisor.  It was sad though that I didn't get it so I considered the Dubai offer (to appease myself).  This time she said all I need is to fix my papers. No placement fees!  Tin went first and I was supposed to come next after she gets a job.  My hopes went dim when after 3 months she still not able to find a job and that she threatened to simply go back to Philippines.  Well will that thought how can I possible be next to go if she goes home and how can I possible find a job if she get herself?


That time, I prayed to God.  I actually had a devotion and it says there that we are to submit to God's will.  Its not easy to say "Lord, Thy will be done.", because sometimes we do not want what God wants for us.  Initially we are focused on getting what we want and if God gave otherwise, we become sad and others to some extent, hate God.  I remember weeping in my prayers while saying "Thy will be done" because I know that there's a possibility that He did not want me to go to Dubai which at that point, I really want it bad.  After that, I blown my nose and slept with peace in my heart.  After 45 minutes or so, I got an overseas call, and Neri said that Tin got a job and submit my resignation! To some it may say magic or luck but for me its an answered Prayer!


I've been so blessed here, I gained new friends, joined and served to a new church, provided more to my family and get to do things in my bucket list.  Now its easier for me to say "Thy will be done" for I know God have a better best plan for me!

2 comments:

  1. I came here to watch Reply 1997, but seeing your personal posts about God working in your life is so encouraging! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I am glad that someone was able to read it and got blessed! To God be the glory!

    ReplyDelete